Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Cat scat fever


Not being a connoisseur of coffee, I still find it a little hard to believe that this particular blend is popular. A shop in Minnesota is selling a style of coffee, Kopi Luwak, that is created from beans that are eaten by Civet cats. Thanks to fark for pulling this one out of their butt.
Let's think about how those beans, some of the most expensive anywhere, are recovered. Yup, they have to be pooped out before they're ground into the delectable cup of joe (not to be confused with
Cup of Joe Powell) which is so coveted it costs $10 per cup. Although, if I had to dig through poop to pull out some beans so some whacked-in-the-head java jonesers could sip on it to stay warm in the winter in the Land of 10,000 Lakes, I'd sure as Civet cat s**t charge an arm and a leg.
Here are some of the words and phrases used to describe this
java jive (a great tune by the Ink Spots, natch) - "thick with a hint of chocolate", "incredibly full bodied", "lingers on the tongue", "very rich and soft". Mmmm, tasty.
Boingboing has another article on this caca coffee.
Apparently, the Japanese are the biggest buyers of this bm bean, which doesn't surprise me. These are also the same kamikaze diners who risk death to eat the
poisonous blowfish.
I think I'll stick with celery and water today.

1 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Joe Powell said...

Whoa, thanks for the distinction, heh heh. I may often be full of it, but even I know better than to drink coffee after it's been pooped out of an animal.

At least, I think I know better.

Having said that, I am willing to feed raw beans to my cat, wait for the gastric process to conclude, and will sell the "product" to anyone who is willing to pay cash money for it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home